Write Great Fiction
Master that tricky beast of fiction, showing and telling
You want your readers to fall in love with your writing
You want them to imagine the world of your story like you do,
love and hate your characters as passionately as you do,
and feel their emotions just like your characters do.
A good writer will get out of their own way and stop dictating facts to their readers.
They won’t tell their readers what they are supposed to think. Not directly.
A good writer will show their readers the world from the point of view of their characters.
Then they let their readers experience the events along with the characters.
It’s like living another person’s life.
Even sat in your armchair in front of the fire, you can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone. You can be James Bond. You can catch that spy and hunt down the criminal mastermind.
As a reader, you know that. You’ve had that experience yourself, whatever genre you read. As a writer, it’s your job to give that gift to your own readers.
This online course is about helping you master that tricky beast of fiction, showing and telling, so that you can plant your story in your readers’ imaginations and hearts.
When you enrol, you will be able to begin your learning and access:
- 74 minutes of video tutorials to walk you through each and every step
- Course reference guide to help you understand the principles
- Examples of good practice and exercises to support your study
Showing and Telling in Writing
I’m going to help you:
- understand the difference between showing and telling
- understand why it’s important to ‘show’ in fiction –
why this way of writing appeals to a reader’s imagination and emotions
- debunk your misconceptions about how to ‘show’
- create your scenes as vividly as they happen in your head
- push the right buttons in your readers’ imaginations
- give your readers the experiences of your characters
- make your readers feel your characters’ emotions
Want to know more?
Visit my course homepage to see what you can learn on this online course about Showing and Telling in your fiction writing
As a professional writer, I often face deadlines that seem impossible to meet. In this blog, I share some of the techniques that help me cope with the pressure.